Founded in 1967, the Society has been serving Maryland’s Catholic legal community for over half-a-century. Past Presidents of the Society have included leading figures of the Maryland Bench and Bar over the years, including, among many others: Hon. Lawrence F. Rodowsky; Hon. John J. Bishop, Jr.; Michael J. Abromaitis, Esq.; John V. Murphy, Esq. and Michael P. May, Esq. Under the guidance of its Past Presidents and supporting officers and Board of Governors, the Society has enjoyed a rich of history of service to its Members and the legal profession in Maryland of which the Society is extremely proud.
Throughout its history, the Society’s signature event has been its Annual Red Mass and Man for All Seasons Award Banquet. The Society works in close coordination with the Archdiocese of Baltimore in planning its annual Red Mass. In many years, the Society’s Red Mass has been celebrated by head of the Archdiocese including, for example: the late Cardinal Lawrence Shehan; the late Cardinal William H Keeler and the current Archbishop of Baltimore, William E. Lori.
Past recipients of the Society’s Man for All Seasons have included a variety of federal and state judges, legal scholars and practicing attorneys, including, among many others:
- Justice Antonin Scalia, S. Supreme Court (2010)
- Justice Samuel Alito, U.S. Supreme Court (2014)
- Hon Lawrence Rodowsky, Maryland Court of Appeals (1980)
- Joseph F. Murphy, Jr., Chief Judge,Maryland Court of Special Appeals (2004)
- Michael Kelley, Esquire, Dean, University of Maryland School of Law (1991)
- Ambassador Mary Ann Glendon (Former U.S. Ambassador to the Vatican and Professor at Harvard Law School (2018)
- James P. Garland, Esq of Miles & Stockbridge P.C. (2017)